Saturday, November 26, 2011

The "H" factor

Hello everyone!!!! thank you so much for the comments about my last post.
I really appreciate every bit of it and I know a lot of it will go a long way in making my novel an interesting read.

Anyways today I decided to post about what I call the "H" factor.
When I talk about the "H" factor, I mean the fact that when people talk they can't pronounce words that start with the letter "H". For instance instead of saying "house" they pronounce it " ouse", leaving the "h", where I do not know.
As much as I hate it when they do this and sometimes chuckle a lot, I even tease Temi that his people are the ones that always have the "H" factor problem, (N/B Temi doesn't have the "H" factor THANK GOD).
The reason why they do this is cos for instance in the Yoruba language if I am not mistaken there isn't a letter "H". Its like it just vanished into thin air..LOL. So it is quiet difficult to transit from the rules in Yoruba language to the rules in the English language.

In the french language the letter "H" is silent for instance the word " Haricot", which means beans (don't forget that every word has to be spelt with an article), is pronounced "aricot". Now when the french converse in English they find it difficult pronouncing the letter "H", which isn't silent or hidden but present in the English language.

The truth:

" Yoruba language is very similar to the french language but when the Yorubas pronounce English words without the "H" etc we see this as being razz, local, bush, uneducated etc.. but when the french make the same mistake it goes this way: " oh you know English isn't their first language, its allowed...

Anyways I should stop. I hope we have learnt a little about the 2 languages...LOL

N/B: I just got my cutting mat and rotary cutter delivered. Nice!!! My sewing machine is coming soon. Slowly but surely my workshop is taking shape and I will soon start churning out different designer hand bags... hopefully.
In the mean time check out this site, I love her drive, passion and her bag designs. http://www.chachalifestyle.com/category.
ciao

16 comments:

  1. LOL.... My southern friends always make fun of the Yorubas and the "H" factor, but i think it's prominent in all languages in Nigeria, the Hausas have the "P" factor also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @9jaFOODie i will not lie i am one of them. Yes the Hausa to have the "P" problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your sweet comment! x this is interesting are you Nigerian too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blame anyone that has the h factor, it's dependent on where they live which they have no control over. It's just condition wey make crayfish bend

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Yolandaas yes i am nigerian and thank you too.
    @Sisi Yemmie yes oh Na condition wey make crafish bend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where I get a bit put out with such people is when they miss it out in writing too, or add it where it's not supposed to be. As for speaking, we all have our issues jor, even the people that it's their first language.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL @ the H factor. I laugh whenever i hear it. The igbo's also have their own too. Some mix the "l" and "r". E.g., instead of saying *I want to cross the road*, it comes out as *I want to cross the load*. lol (I'm igbo so i'm not hating :-)). Thanks for stopping by my blog. Following you right back.


    naijabankgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Onestly, 'ow did you know? 'Owever I do believe the "R" factor is more obvious 'han te "h' factor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, I never knew that there wasn't an "H" in the Yoruba language!! And, I'm Yoruba...lol...makes sense...thanks for sharing the knowledge...I use to think it was razness also!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Che LMAO..I didn't know that about the Igbos. thanks for sharing.
    @Ade Moses's son LOL
    @Blessing LOL. no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha. Nice post. Think this is common worldover. From my corner of Africa, tribesmen switch their "Ls" & "Rs", so river Nile for instance is commonly pronounced Liver Nire !! Over here though, my 1st Grader is learning how to read more each day. Because she's in a Spanish immersion program she now reads English in Spanish (if that makes sense). For instance, in Spanish "ll" (double L) is pronounced as English "y" so the other day it took me a while to figure out that she meant "umbrella" when she was reading out "umbre-ya" !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Haha I feel you. "Quesadilla" and all, I love Spanish.��

      Delete
  13. Lmao at the H factor...it is always funny when I hear some people pronounce house or cheese :)

    Ps: thanks for stopping by!


    xoxo
    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol. Yeah, ibos have the 'R' and 'L' issue, the Hausas - 'P' and 'F' (Progrss promounced 'frogress'), Yourubas - Loss of 'H'('ouse) and 'SH' (which comes out as just 'S' for ibadan people. making Shoe sound like 'sue') Then we have the Akwa-Ibom people who have a 'J' to 'Y' issue (where Junction becomes 'yunction' and John become 'yohn') That is what makes Naija so unique, Diverse yet one country.

    UP NAIJA!!!!

    ReplyDelete