Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Worried Himself To Death

Welcome omolara thank you for becoming a follower and looking forward to having a lovely time with you.

Today will post an extract from a book I have been reading. (THE SUCCESS PRINCIPLES How to get from where you are to where you want to be by Jack Canfield). I hope you learn a lot from this as I have.

WORRIED HIMSELF TO DEATH

Nick Sitzman was a strong, healthy and ambitious young railroad yardman. He had a reputation as a diligent hard worker and had a loving wife and two children and many friends. One summer day, the train crews were informed that they could quit an hour early in honor of foreman's birthday. While performing one last check on some of the railroad cars, Nick was accidentally locked in a refrigerator boxcar. When he realized that the rest of the workmen had already left the site, Nick began to panic.
He banged and shouted while his fist were bloody and his voice was hoarse, but no one heard him. With his knowledge of "the numbers and the facts", he predicted the temperature to be zero degrees. Nick's thought was if I can't get out, I'll freeze to death in here. Wanting to let his wife and family know exactly what had happened to him, Nick found a knife and began to etch words on the wooden floor. He wrote, "it's so cold, my body is getting numb. If I could just go to sleep. These may be my last words".

The next morning, the crew slid open the heavy door of the boxcar and found Nick dead. An autopsy revealed that every physical sign of his body indicated he had froze to death. And yet the refrigerator unit of the car was inoperative, and the temperature inside indicated 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Nick had killed himself by the power of his own thoughts.

You, too, if you are not careful, can kill yourself with your limiting thoughts-not all at once like Nick Sitzman, but little by little, day after day, until you have slowly deadened your natural ability to achieve your dreams.

Notez Bien: when I read this story it spoke to me. This is me for I worry a lot. Why did Nick Sitzman worry himself to death, leaving his wife and kids behind?
Newly added Goal: " stop worrying about everything, for, most at times they all fall into place at the end of the day".

Ciao.

9 comments:

  1. Lesson learnt!
    It is true what they say... 'worry never solves a problem'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm ...
    Funny thing is that I have been absorbed in WORRY all day today..
    Thanks for this
    I'm going to take a nap now *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first ever time I read this story, I freaked out! I could not believe that our mind was THAT powerful.....I learnt and am still learning to 'not worry and be happy'. Especially when I just have no control over matters and no I have done my best......Thanks Ibifiri for reminding me about this and giving me a chance to read this story again. I found it very profound at the time. And I still do..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...I've been trying to be worry-free for so months now! This story is very very powerful...someone once said that "Worry is a negative form of worship"

    And just like worship can lift your spirits, worry can kill you! WOW!!!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bible says that we do not add even a hair by worrying so I strive everyday to cast away my cares.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @P.E.T.Project me too.
    @Naijamum its so nice to read a word about what u have been feeling..i knw the feeling cos i have been there.
    @desperatenaijawoman its so nice to knw that u have read this book. yes me too i freaked out.
    @Blessing i believe that person really worry is a negative form of worship.
    @Myne Whitman its true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister worries like this and I've told her a thousands times she's going to kill herself before her time. I'm going to email her this story..

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww she needs to read this. i am sure she will get better, for everyday i am trying to stop worrying. its not an easy fight but i am overcoming it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this spoke to me powerfully. i have been doing a lot of reflection upon the direction my thoughts have been taking recently. thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete